Kidney-Friendly Recipes – Blueberry Lemon Pound Cake
This blueberry lemon pound cake makes a fantastic brunch or anytime cake. Not only is it extra bright thanks to the lemon zest, but it’s also chock full of blueberries. Despite its sweet-sounding name, this delicious cake is low-calorie, low-carb, and an easy-to-make recipe fit for any breakfast, brunch gathering, or even just a snack.
Special thanks to our partner, National Kidney Foundation, for sharing this transplant-friendly recipe.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook: 45 minutes
Total: 1 hour 15 minutes
- ½ cup non-fat cottage cheese
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 3 fresh eggs
- 1 cup fat-free lemon yogurt
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Splenda
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 cup blueberries
- Puree cottage cheese till smooth.
- Place cottage cheese puree, butter, Splenda in a mixer and beat till smooth.
- Add eggs, yogurt, vanilla, lemon juice, lemon zest, and blend until smooth.
- Scrape sides of the bowl. Sift dry ingredients, all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add to mixing bowl, blend until smooth.
- Add blueberries and mix them into the rest of the batter.
- Pour mixture into greased 8″ angel food cake pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes at 375°F.
Appropriate for those with diabetes, CKD stages 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5, dialysis and transplant.
Diets: kosher, low-calorie, low-calorie, low-carb, low-fat, low-phosphorous, low-potassium, low-protein, low-sodium, nut-free.
- Calories 177
- Carbohydrates 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Protein 5.4 g
- Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Sodium 203 mg
- Potassium 106.7 mg
- Calcium 70.5 mg