Egg Roll in a Bowl
Quick joke … How do you make an egg roll?
You push it down a hill!
There are dozens of bad egg roll puns we can make, but for Jessica Englerth of Killeen, Texas, making delicious, nutritious, and kidney-friendly food is no laughing matter.
Jessica shares with you this “Egg Roll in a Bowl” recipe.
- 1 lb. ground turkey or beef
- 5 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 chopped green onion
- 1 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
Baking & Spices
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 sesame seeds, toasted
Oils & Vinegars
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil, toasted
- Nuts & seeds
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- Sauté olive oil and ground turkey in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until turkey is almost cooked through.
- Push turkey to the side of the pan and add onion and the other tablespoon of oil.
- Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add shredded carrots, garlic, and ginger and sauté for 2 minutes. Stir the vegetables and turkey together.
- Pour chicken broth in the pan and scrape the bottom of it to deglaze it.
- Add cabbage, coconut aminos or soy sauce, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Stir well and cover with a lid.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 12-15 minutes, or until cabbage is to your desired tenderness.
- Just before serving add toasted sesame oil and stir to combine.